4.9 is now available

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 30 21:12:41 PST 2003

If memory serves me right, Don Lewis wrote:

> Can older machines boot from Non-Emulated El-Torito CDs?  If not, it
> might be nice to be able to generate CDs of either flavor. This would be
> painful for FreeBSD CD vendors, though ...

Not always.  We went through this dance once before on both the 4.X and
5.X series.  The last time we visited this question we had never seen
BIOSes that couldn't deal with emulation booting.  So we decided to
stick with emulation booting with 4.X and, starting with 5.X, use
non-emulation booting because it allows us to use the generic kernel
when booting from CD-ROM.

I'm pretty sure we have support for both types of bootable CD-ROMs in
the bootstraps and the release building code on both 4.X and 5.X. Anyone
who builds their own releases ought to be able to generate either type.
It's not a goal of the FreeBSD Project to actually do this, but a vendor
could do this as a value-add if they were so inclined.

Bruce.