How stable is 4.9-RELEASE proving to be?

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Wed Oct 29 08:41:40 PST 2003

We need immediate feedback on the stability of FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE. (Yes, I
know, people are just starting to download it now.) We want and need some of
the important fixes that went into -STABLE in the past month (including vital
upates to IPFW2), but can't afford to put a release that's not absolutely
solid on a production system. (For the same reason, we probably won't go to
5.x until 5.3.) The comment in the release notes suggesting that conservative
users stick with 4.8-RELEASE is not encouraging. If 4.9 isn't stable, we may
be forced to jump over to OpenBSD 3.4 for new production systems.

Will there be a 4.9.1 if there are serious problems in 4.9?

--Brett Glass