multi terabyte disk arrays

Jamie Bowden ragnar at sysabend.org
Thu Oct 23 05:52:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Mark Nipper wrote:
>
> > 	I'm not sure if this is an NFS restriction or an actual
> > userland utility restriction, but I have a 4-STABLE machine NFS
> > mounting a 5.1-RELEASE machine that is exporting an approximately
> > 1.6T disk array, and df on my 4-STABLE machine gives:
> > ---
> > host:/home2 -508991530 159283464 -668274994   -31% /home2
>
> Based on a recent discussion, this is a limitation of statfs, which uses
> 32 bit counters.  kirk wants to make a new 64-bit statfs to fix this
> problem. Stay tuned.
>
> Your filesystem is fine, just the numbers will be a little wonky. :)

Irix has an option flag for exports called '32bitclients' to go along with
its 64bit clean systems, to avoid problems like this when exporting to
32bit machines.  It may be a good idea to do something similar if/when Dr.
M. gets around to doing this.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"