IDE ATA ATAPI tape drive (AST0) causes system to stop responding.

Arjan Knepper arjan at jak.nl
Wed Oct 22 13:22:04 PDT 2003

In addition:

The tapedrive manual says:
   "ATAPI interface that supports DMA and PIO modes 0, 1, or 2 with 512
Kbytes on-drive data buffer to facilitate the most efficient use of the
host computer and tape drive"

dmesg says:
   "ast0: TAPE <Seagate STT20000A> at ata2-slave PIO4"

Does this mean the OS got it wrong?

Anyway I setted the mode for the tape drive with atacontrol mode 2 XXX
PIO2 and tried a few things like:
mt retension (OK)
mt rewind (OK)
mt fsf 1 ( FAILED system lock-up, powercycle needed)

So to me it seems to make no difference.

Does anyone have a clue? What should I do next? Any help and suggestions
are appreciated.

Thanks
Arjan Knepper