SIS 651 chip set, ata problem

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Oct 20 13:56:08 PDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:29:50 +0200 (CEST)
"Peter Spekreijse" <peter at spekreijse.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We're trying to install FreeBSD 4.9/RC on a system with a
> Asus P4S533-MX board (SIS 651 chipset). This does not work
> with UDMA enabled. Is this problem known? Is there a work-around?

Yes, this problem is known (PR-43345). Unfortunately, it is not very
easily fixed under 4-stable (I believe -current already has a fix for
this) according to the people who are experts on the ATA code.

Workaround, here is my experience:
http://geekinfo.net/article.php?story=20021229152603904

Basically, if your BIOS allows you to turn off ultra-dma, you will get
FreeBSD installed. The patch described in PR-43345 "works" for me, but
YMMV, because I use a 20G ATA66 hard drive.

Hope this helps a bit.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway