erorrs from spec_getpages

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Sat Oct 18 08:23:40 PDT 2003

On 18 Oct 2003 at 19:15, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> 	~~~~~~~~
>
> This sentense put in in wrong assumption.

*gag*!

Sorry.  Yes, that should be "I replaced the IDE cable".  Not the
drive.  I apologise for that.

> DL> > I'd bet a couple of (insert your preferred currency symbol here ;-) that you
> DL> > disc has been failed at your swap area; then, when pager decided to bring back
> DL> > (swapin) some pages it previously swapped out, it complaints.
> DL>
> DL> Since the reboot (20 hours ago), the box has been fine.  It's done a
> DL> few buildworlds, and no problems have been seen.  The disk
> DL> manufacturer's diagnostics tools found nothing wrong with the drive.
> DL> At this point, I'm suspecting a bad cable (which was replaced), not
> DL> that I have any firm evidence that was the problem.
>
> Well I was in impression you've swapped out the disk, not cable, hence my
> assumption. Sure it may be wrong cable; however, I suppose at least some ATA
> errors should be logged somewhere before spec_getpages...

They may have been, but they were not in /var/log/messages.  If they
were on the console, they were scrolled off the top.  I couldn't
scroll up because the keyboard hadn't been attached at boot, and I
had not modified the kernel to allow for that situation.

Thank you.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/