Building a server TODAY; which version?

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Fri Oct 17 15:43:52 PDT 2003

I am running 4.9 on 3 or 4 systems with out any problems. I chose to track
stable initially (around 3.3 I think) because really good performance
stuff was going in. I use the date command in cvsup to make sure I get
repeatable results.

Then I migrate system upgrades through as follows: test machine, 2nd dns,
desktop, 1st dns, gateway, production servers. I am using a pentium 100
MHz for the test machine and do builds on my desktop which is an 800 MHz
with SCSI. That has worked fine.

If you only have one system, I think tracking 4.8 release + security is
good advice. For as long as I have been doing this I think I have had one
problem that perhaps was not not my fault.