Now available: the NewTrino DNS blackhole list system

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Thu Oct 16 13:28:36 PDT 2003

I released the first public version of my DNS blackhole list management
system today; it's available at:

    http://subwiki.honeypot.net/cgi-bin/view/Freebsd/NewTrino

Basically, it's a set of utilities for keeping track of hosts that have send
virus- or worm-infected email to you by making appropriate entries in a
nameserver with Dynamic DNS enabled.  An example application would be to
configure your MTA to reject email from hosts listed in the blacklist.

There are other groups that offer such services.  However, I believe that
this is the only public distribution of software specifically designed to
administer a DNS blackhole.

Although it was designed to meet the goal of blocking infected email, it
could be trivially adapted to other uses.

I wrote about this last month when the Swen epidemic was peaking, and
surprised even myself by actually following through.
--
Kirk Strauser

"94 outdated ports on the box,
 94 outdated ports.