5.1 RELEASE: clock running wild?

G. Panula greg.panula at lexisnexis.com
Thu Oct 16 06:27:07 PDT 2003

Alex Povolotsky wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Not sure if I'm posting into right list.

Problems with the 5.x branch should be directed to the freebsd-current
mail-list.  Rumor has it, 5.3 will be deemed stable.

> After upgrading to 5.1-Release I've mentioned that clock on server is running wild (about twice faster than all other world). I am not sure how it worked before upgrade, but... hmm... I can't recall receiving daily output twice a day.
>
> What can I do besides downgrading back?

Run ntpd.  Pretty much just need two files; /etc/ntp.conf and
/etc/ntp.drift.

ntp.conf lists the driftfile and the upstream time source.
example ntp.conf
server some.ntpserver.com
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

Your local ISP should have an ntp server that you can get the correct
time from.  Otherwise there is a list of public stratum 2 ntp servers
available at: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html

Might want to use ntpdate to get your time synched up before running ntpd.

And of course you'll want to read the manpages. :)

greg