Spamassasin

Tom tom at sdf.com
Wed Oct 15 01:10:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Jethro R Binks wrote:

> Exim/sendmail+MailScanner combinations are used extensively in the UK
> academic community to good effect.  Those close to Exim's author use
> Exim+MailScanner, and advice on one way of integrating Exim+MailScanner
> was written by Exim's author.

  Uhh... perhaps if you replace "MailScanner" with Exiscan, that all might
actually be true.  Exiscan is way better than MailScanner.  Exiscan does
not need to muck around with Exim queue files, since it directly
integrates into Exim.  Probably because the author of Exiscan and
Exim actually work together on this.

> Speaking personally, MS has saved us time and time again from email-bourne
> threats over the past couple of years, and allowed us to implement a
> fine-grained mail security policy that is customisable on a per-user basis
> if necessary.  No other AV solution offers even half the features and
> configurability that MS does, and MS now scans and protects huge amounts
> of mail in many many installations.  Our site was protected from
> Sobig.whatever before the thing was even released, without needing to wait
> for AV definitions to be updated.

  FUD actually.  Exiscan does all of that too.  For that matter, so would
MIMEdefang.  The feature set is hardly state of the art now.  In fact, the
way mailscanner mucks around with queue files was something that should
have been abandoned long ago, since there are better methods available.

> Just felt that a little defence of MS was necessary.
>
> Jethro.

Tom