build problem replacing libssl.so -- please read!

Daniel danielc at green-orb.com
Fri Oct 10 16:36:10 PDT 2003

On 10 Oct 2003 at 9:13, John Fox wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
> [snip]
>
> I've got a production machine running FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE, and I
> need to upgrade it to fix the SSL, procfs issues that have come up
> lately.

> One of my aims was to replace libssl.so.3 with a fixed version...
>
> [snip lots of problems mixing libraries and such]

Have you done a complete buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel/reboot
single/installworld/reboot cycle yet (with mergemasters in appropriate places as documented
in the handbook)?  I'd strongly recommend that, then if problems persist, try
pkg_deinstall()ing the apache and reinstalling it from the port.

There are a lot of things that can get whacked by just slicing over a new library from -
STABLE into a -RELEASE machine.  -STABLE is at 4.9-RC now, so you're almost a full
point release ahead of where you are coming from.  In FreeBSD terms, that's a lot.

I'd rebuild apache after that anyway to catch the mod_ssl updates as well.

Obviously, at this point, I'd clean the usr/obj directory entirely, and do a make cleandir &&
make cleandir in /usr/src before starting the buildworld process.  You may want to re-cvsup
again following that as well, to ensure everything is in place.  That guarantees you the
cleanest and most straightforward upgrade path.

Peace,

 -- Daniel
 <><