panic after update to latest -stable

Joao Pedras jpedras at webvolution.net
Thu Oct 9 08:08:14 PDT 2003

(this is a resend. my apologies when you receive the original message - it's
stuck in a smtp
queue)

Hi all,

After going over the usual steps to update my laptop (thinkpad A31) to
yesterday's -stable I got a kernel panic when booting the new kernel. I didn't
change anything in the kernel
config or anywhere else for that matter. This laptop has been running
sucessfully several
versions of -stable over the last year.

buildworld, buildkernel and friends were 100% sucessfull. UPDATING doesn't seem
to mention anything special also.

Any insight into this matter is appreciatted.

Here is the output:

apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
Kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled
fault virtual address		= 0x36
fault code			= supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer		= 0x8:0xc025b240
stack pointer			= 0x10:0xc0436d6e
frame pointer			= 0x10:0xc0436e0e
code segment			= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
				= DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 1, gran 1
processor eflags		= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process 		= 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask			= net tty bio com
trap number			= 12
panic: page fault