problem booting after install of 5.1

Michael Grant mg-fbsd3 at grant.org
Wed Oct 8 23:44:24 PDT 2003

I just did a fresh install of 5.1-release.  I'm using the freebsd
bootloader to choose between 2 disks.  Freebsd is on the second (da1)
disk and windows on the first (da0).  The first time I booted the
machine, I got this:

F1  FreeBSD
F5  Drive 1

Default: F1

If I pressed F1, it just beeped.  Pressing F5 gave me an error in
french and now when I reboot again, the default is F5 and every key
beeps, nothing seems to be able to get it to give me the error again
and nothing will advance it beyond this menu.

The error being in french is probably because I have the french
version of xp loaded on the other disk, though I'm not 100% sure if
the error came from windows or the bootloader (which should be in
english I thought).

Michael Grant