Keyboard Controller woes

7 sevn at dangpow.com
Wed Oct 8 15:56:34 PDT 2003

Hello There,
Happy Wednesday Yall.

      I had a business partner ask me a question about something that
seriously rang a bell, but I could not find the reference after much
searching. It's a problem I think I used to have on a LX based intel
board a while ago, but I can't remember.

If he cold boots a certain machine without a keyboard (ps/2) plugged in,
then tries to plug one in after it's up and running, it won't work.
However if he already has a keyboard plugged in when he boots, then
unplugs it and leaves it that way for days, then plugs the keyboard in
it works fine. The whole point is he'd rather not have to be there to
plug a keyboard into each of 50 1U rackmounts when they need rebooted to
be sure they will work later. He's running the latest redhat on the
exact same 1U's and they don't display the same behavior. I was *sure*
this was something simple I read in LINT or on the mailing list at some
point, but I'm not sure. Damn time and age and all that. Anyone remember
what I'm talking about? It was something to do with a kernel config
parameter if I'm not mistaken that fixed this issue with the keyboard
controller. If I'm not mistaken, he's using 4.8 release updated with
RELENG_4_8. If someone could just point me in the right direction, I'd
be much appreciative. After searching all day I'm burnt.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!