plateful of crow (was Re: Frequent reboots...)

Fred Gilham gilham at csl.sri.com
Mon Oct 6 07:51:05 PDT 2003

hg at cally.queue.to wrote:

> In mpc.lists.freebsd.stable, I wrote:
>  :  :  I'm also seeing this disturbing new problem concurrent an
>  :  :  install of 4.9-PRERELASE, have not suffered this problem
>  :  :  throughout 3.1 and up through 4.8-RC1.
>
> Coincidental is a lot more accurate.  When the power supply on this
> machine popped and hour ago and filled the room with the sickeningly
> sweet smell of resistor it became pretty clear this was a hardware
> issue.  Too bad I didn't put the plateful of crow on top of the box
> so at least that would've been warmed up before I had to eat it.
> "nevermind"

This is so weird.  I went to the latest stable, which turned out to be
4.9 RC-something, and my system started hanging.  Then when I went
back to 4.8 it kept on hanging.  Turned out to be a disk going bad.

Maybe 4.9 is haunted, maybe its daemon has gone rogue and started
eating hardware. :-)

Fred Gilham                                         gilham at csl.sri.com
If you hold a controversial position you will draw controversy and its
cousins: denunciation, dislike, etc. It's the price you pay. And
unlike Tom Daschle, I pay it without a taxpayer-funded security team
to keep me safe.                                     -- Peggy Noonan