SMP + Compaq 2DH Array Controller cause freeze in boot

Edward Aronyk earonyk at 360integration.com
Sun Oct 5 03:58:42 PDT 2003

Good day all,

I've recently added a new piece of hardware to my collection - it's a
Compaq Proliant 1600R with a Smart Array 2DH controller and dual
processors. Unfortunately these features don't seem to play well
together.

Installing FreeBSD 4.8 was very smooth. After doing a CVSup, one of my
first tasks was to compile a new kernel with SMP support. The compile
went fine, but when I reboot with the new kernel, the box freezes at:

"Mounting root from ufs:/dev/idad0s2a"

After doing some searching on the mailing lists I found that this
problem has been encountered by a few people over the last three or four
years.

One solution in the past for a similar problem was to tell the Compaq
BIOS that you are running Windows NT. Compaq tries to disable SMP
support for operating systems it doesn't think will support it. I tried
this fix with no success. Another person tried selecting Linux with
success, however that was on a different model - mine has no option for
Linux.

Does anyone have any solutions, or will this bug remain unfixed?

Thank you all for your time,

Edward Aronyk