plateful of crow (was Re: Frequent reboots...)

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Sat Oct 4 11:41:39 PDT 2003

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>'plate o crow' like humble pie are very common dishes.  I have had many a
>helping myself..... Problems of this variety are really crappy. Its soooo
>much easier when hardware just fails. Marginal power supplies I find are
>the worst.  I find that enabling core dumps help. If the crash is in a
>different and seemingly random place each time, I will look at hardware
>issues quicker.

In my experience, a huge percentage of hardware problems trace
back to bad fans, particularly those in the power supplies.  This
is particularly true in the cheap commodity boxes where cost is
more important than quality.

PC Power and Cooling is on our speed dial.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``... because most politicians and bureaucrats are technological idiots,
it's going to be crucial for the rank and file members of the IT community
to find its collective voice soon.'' --Michael Vizard, InfoWorld Editor in
Chief.