how to config sound for my notebook

Mikko Työläjärvi mbsd at pacbell.net
Sat Oct 4 10:08:21 PDT 2003

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, john-k wrote:

> hi all
>

> i am using nec vxi notebook install freebsd 4.9rc kde, i just cannot config
> the sound i read and i found it need to complie the driver in the kernel , i
> check the LINT file but it is not there, i use a linux startup cd and found
> out that the driver is intel i82440mx ac97 audio driver = i-810_Audio
>
> 1) where i can found this driver and how to install?

Try
    kldload snd_pcm
    cat /dev/sndstat

If that lists anything under "installed devices", try running
something that creates sound (or cat an .au file to /dev/audio).
If that works, add the line 'snd_pcm_load="YES"' to /boot/loader.conf
to load the module at each boot.

If any of the above fails, your hardware may be unsupported,

> 2) i can only sucess complie the custom kernel from the generic if i copy to
> other name,i always found fail, any idea?
> i mean if i edit the generic i can complie the custome kernel, if i copy other
> name i always fail?

I haven't had to rebuild the kernel to get sound support in... well,
longer than I can rmeember.  Dynamic loading should be ok nowadays.

     $.01,
     /Mikko