Frequent reboots...

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Wed Oct 1 18:42:53 PDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Haesu wrote:

> I am having a problem with a new server running FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE.
>
> Once every two days or so, it reboots itself.. there is no exact time of
> the day it reboots..

Temperature?

> It rebooted itself at 4:25 PM EDT on 9/25, and 3:05 AM EDT on 9/29 (today).

Maintenance runs crank up then -- daily at 0300 and security at 0415.  I
suspect you have the problem that rwatson pointed out earlier with the
periodic scripts loading the system enough to tickle some flakey hardware.

Try running the daily or weekly periodic scripts manually and see if that
triggers it. If it does it might help you to isolate the issue since it
will be easy to reproduce.