kern/59719 Re: 4.9 Stable Crashes on SuperMicro with SMP

Jonathan Gilpin jonathan at fluent.ltd.uk
Fri Nov 28 17:22:30 PST 2003

I've run memtest (memtest86.com) kindly provided by Don and it passed all
the tests. I've installed installed a kernel module to test for memory
errors and found that again no memory errors are found... So this means it's
either a problem with the CPU's or a geniune bug in the kernel. (bugger!)

I'm going to switch the CPU's around (we dont have any spare) and then try
and get spares from my supplier to test with. Today I aslo enabled
Hypterthreading in the BIOS and Disabled MPS 1.4. This had no effect and the
box continued to crash...

The strange thing is that this box ran fine using Suse...

The box BTW is a SuperMicro 6013-I (some of you have asked).

Is it worth enabling any debug stuff in the kernel? I'm not familair with
gdb but can follow instructions to provide more info to anyone investigating
possible bugs such as these...

Unless the switching of the CPU's around works I'm going to have to go back
to 1 CPU for stability...

Jonathan