fdformat doesn't work anymore?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Nov 27 05:48:34 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:12:47AM +1030, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:57, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > I am trying to format a floppy in a FreeBSD 4.9-mumble system but it spits
> > errors on most tracks.
> >
> > I've tried several floppies, but the result is the same. If I do "dd
> > if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0c" it completes without error.
> >

> So this proves you can get nulls from /dev/zero without error.
> But having done this will dd read from /dev/fd0c?

I recently needed to write something to floppy for the first time in
several years.  I had a lot of trouble finding one that worked, and
several that I thought were OK because dd if=/dev/zero completed, gave
errors on read.

In the end I gave up and burned a CD for my 2k text file.

The ISO image was so small that cdrecord had to pad it to a minimum
size when writing it to the CD.

Kris