NFS/Sendmail issue since upgrading to 4.9-STABLE

Adam Maloney adam at whee.org
Wed Nov 26 14:13:10 PST 2003

Sorry for the noise on the list about this.  We think we've identified the
issue.

We made the change to make the inbound queues local, and the problem occured
again almost immediately.  That ruled out NFS, and left us with only one
other realistic option.

This custom application reads a directory list and for each qf file,
attempts a LOCK_EX.  For the past 2 years this has appeared to work fine
with Sendmail - if Sendmail is still working on the qf file, we aren't able
to get an exclusive lock, so we go on to the next file, etc.  (Maybe Claus
can confirm some of this behavior?)

It appears that Sendmail changed from 8.12.9 (FreeBSD 4.8R) to 8.12.10
(FreeBSD 4.9-STA).  What we believe is happening is that the qf file is
being created, and our application is getting the exclusive lock before
Sendmail.  This makes Sendmail spit out the "resource temporarily
unavailable" error, since it can't lock the file, and it leaves our
application with an empty qf file that we are trying to process.

It will take several more hours of testing before we're relatively confident
that this is the issue.  Hopefully I'll be posting one last time to confirm
that everything is fixed.