(Another ?) hang during RELENG_4 boot

guy at device.dyndns.org guy at device.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 25 13:36:24 PST 2003

Hi stable-ers,

[hope i won't deliver that mail twice - If so, forgive or flog me]

The "Another ?" statement is here because my problem *may* be related with
the current "Hang on boot with 4.9-STABLE" thread.

My main home computer was running 4.9 RC1 till 2 days ago, when i decided to
upgrade it to last STABLE.

After kernel build/install, the reboot hanged (everything freezed, need to
reset) just after detecting my IDE cd drive - usually the next step was the
detection of my LSI logic (former AMI) megaraid logical disk.

I then cvsuped against RELENG_4_9, rebuilt all, and boot when fine.

Today morning, full of hope, i cvsuped to RELENG_4 and tried again.

The boot still hang, but this time it is after the RAID logical drive
detection, just before the actual system boot start "Mouting root from...".

Here's a short description of my system. Any completion requests welcomed.

Hardware :
Tyan tiger MP Motherboard with 2 Athlons XP 2000+
Only IDE device is the cd drive.
LSI Megaraid 5000 Express controller with 4 SCSI drives all attached into
an unique RAID 5 array.
Mouse attached to USB.

Software non-standardismes :
Having a GEForce, am loading linux.ko and nvidia.ko at boot time.
Only difference between GENERIC and my kernel conf are : enabled SMP, added
support for my PCI SoundBlaster (pcm).

I'm willing to help as much as i can locating and fixing the problem, but i
don't really know where to start, so any pointers to which more information
i should submit or what steps i should take will be appreciated.

Thanks for your attention.

--
        Guy P.