umass-sim0 emuated tape always rewinds on no-rewind device

Scott Michel scottm at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Nov 24 15:13:40 PST 2003

I've recently installed a Sony AITe130-UL USB-based AIT-2 tape drive. So
far, everything works rather nicely: usbd finds the device, umass-sim0
gets created, mt can rewind the tape, etc.

However, I'm using amanda to write the tape label and the tape gets
rewound when the no-rewind tape device is closed (/dev/nrsa0). This
causes several other problems.

Is there a quirk I need to set somewhere that's not in the umass.c
source? How can I go about fixing this or achieving clue?

-scooter