Hang on boot with 4.9-STABLE

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Thu Nov 20 15:04:34 PST 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Peter Radcliffe wrote:

> Doug White <dwhite at gumbysoft.com> probably said:
> > Well this is crazy.  APM doesn't play well under SMP and for some reason
> > you're not using ACPI.  Can you try compiling acpi into your kernel and
> > retrying?
>
> The reason I'm not using ACPI is that is previously wasn't available
> with 4.x and I have no need for it.

I believe it uses the improved interrupt and CPU tables, but I might be
confusing it with -current.

> I can only test new kernels when I'm around to go power cycle them
> when they hang (until I can put the remote controlled power strip in
> that rack to do it remotely), so I can test ACPI but not today.

That doesn't help much :(

> > What  motherboard?
>
> I know it's a Supermicro motherboard, Intel serverworks chipset and
> ICH3 based, with a dual channel adaptec U160 scsi controller on board
> plus one 10/100 ether and one gig ether. Possibly a X5DMS-6GM.

Intel is Intel. ServerWorks is owned by Broadcom.  They are separate
companies.

> chip0 at pci0:0:0: class=0x060000 card=0x358015d9 chip=0x25408086 rev=0x03
>  hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device   = 'E7500 System Controller (MCH, Hub Interface A)'
>     class    = bridge
>     subclass = HOST-PCI

OK, so Intel E7500 chipset.  I've run -stable and -current on that in the
past without issue, so it could be recent breakage.

I don't run my machines with apm so I'm not sure where its hanging at.