Does 4.9-RELEASE work with 3Ware RAID card?

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Wed Nov 19 16:59:34 PST 2003

At 05:48 PM 11/19/2003, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

>I think you have the best equipment to test it with :-)

So, I'd have to be the guinea pig, eh?

I'm not sure I can afford to do that. I can run the
machine through a few kernel recompiles, but can't
leave it down long enough to do a real stress test.
I may just have to go with 4.8-RELEASE.

I must say that I am in kind of a quandary nowadays. I'd
like to install 4.9-RELEASE when I make up a new system,
but I am very leery of using it on important machines.
It seems as if the addition of PAE (Why wasn't this
reserved for 5.x?) caused a lot of problems, and that
the developers went back to fix them somewhat grudgingly
(they had long since put the 4.x code aside, except for bug
fixes, and were grinding away on 5.x). And 5.x still isn't
"there" yet when it comes to solidity and polish. Are
other people besides me sticking to 4.8-RELEASE plus patches?

--Brett Glass