DOWNgrading 4.9-REL -> 4.8-REL...

Pavel Gubin pg at ie.tusur.ru
Wed Nov 19 04:54:53 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 10:19:05AM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:

> > make buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel/installworld/mergemaster
> >
> > is The Right Way?
>
> yes, with a reboot to single-user mode before installworld.

  Hmm.. :) I was too lazy to reboot one more time, i just kill suspicious
processes like cron, sendmail etc. :)

> but may I ask why you find it necessary to downgrade?

  See followup to PR kern/57174 for details :(
  Shortly, my Maxtor 6Y200 attached to CMD648 controller brings the system
into panic, and without using tags. Maximum uptime was about 30 minutes :(

  I looked into ata(4) code and decided that there is some logic error
(especially taking into account that panic() in ata(4) 4.9 appeared after
significant rewrite ata_dmastart() code).

  Then, after downgrading my system in question to 4.8-p13 - flight is
excellent, 1 day ok.

  I really want to eliminate this error, but at least some days I cannot
duplicate the same hardware configuration to investigate the problem...

--
Pavel Gubin
TUSC&R / Industrial Electronics dept / System Administrator