Hang on boot with 4.9-STABLE

Eugene Grosbein eugen at kuzbass.ru
Mon Nov 17 23:25:04 PST 2003

Peter Radcliffe wrote:

> Yet another hang on boot issue wqith 4.9. I havn't seen anything the
> same go through the list and I've searched the archives but not found
> anything appropriate.
>
> Dual processor P4 box, serverworks chipset, that has been rock solid
> under 4.8-P3, took it to 4.9-R and 4.9-STABLE (as of today) and it
> hangs on boot after the apm0 line. It's doing SMP and the motherboard
> has hyperthreading enabled.
>
> It won't break out to the kernel debugger so I can't get a kernel dump.
>
> Clues ? Known issue ?

I've dual processor P3 (Intel motherboard on ServerWorks)
that was rock solid long time ago till early 4.8-STABLE.
Once upgraded to 4.9-STABLE, it started to hang every night
(not at the same day time, though). It won't break out
to the kernel debugger too so I have no information for the PR.
That occured 5 times.

I've downgraded it to 4.8-STABLE of 8 August 2003 and it is stable
again.

Eugene Grosbein