Radeon 7500 warning message + Blender issues

Sean Welch welchsm at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 15 20:47:08 PST 2003

Hello, Sam.

I'm a bit confused by the two pr's you listed in your message (both are for
version 2.0 of FreeBSD and were resolved way back in 1994).

I've run into the issue you detail in experience with blender and a radeon
7500 card with DRI enabled.  I assume you've already made the following
links under /usr/X11R6/lib/

libGL.so.14 -> libGL.so.1
libGLU.so.14 -> libGLU.so.1

Without those links blender won't run at all.

Setting the variable RADEON_NO_VTXFMT does fix the crashing on
render for version blender-2.25 (I've not tried the development version)
but it is still possible to crash blender by switching focus back and forth
between the main window and the render window by using F11 and F12.
The solution is to never use F11 at all -- just close the render window
when not needed and let F12 recreate it when you do another render.

The vtxfmt error goes away if you use the newest DRI code.  I've been
overlaying a standard X install from ports with CVS code.  If you use the
new port XFree86-4-Server-snap and the dri-devel port you should have
pretty much what I've been building from CVS.

I hope this helps to resolve your issues with erratic crashes when using
blender.

I can't reproduce the problem with using ESC to quit an application --
perhaps updating your X servers and DRI code will resolve this for you.

                                                                                Sean