Fibrechannel support in 4.9 ?

Pete French pfrench at firstcallgroup.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 11:19:30 PST 2003

> Welcome to the world of SAN. :) Someone else has already provided
> FreeBSD-specific info, here's a few other pieces of the puzzle for you.  In
> attaching a FC RAID array you will be creating a small point-to-point fibre
> channel network (a small SAN).  Internally the array is probably

O.K. - is that going to be affected by the fact that there will be a number
of other machines also attached to the array ? Got 2 BSD machines for starters
and possibly 5 windows machines. I am unsure of FC topology - will all of
them be point-ot-point into the array ?

> arbitrated-loop, but that should not be a concern to you.  Fibre Channel is a

Makes mental note to go research arbitrated-lopp vs point-to-point! Does
this affect the kind of card I acquire ? Will all of them boot fine ?

> networking architecture that allows transport of other protocols, usually
> SCSI (FCP).  Curtis Preston's _Introduction to SAN and NAS_ (published by

O.K., that helps a lot - if its just acting as an alternative SCSI transport
as far as th OS ins concerend then that makes me a lot happier. Thanks
for the advice.

-pcf.