kernel panic on jailed sshd - 4.9-release

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Tue Nov 11 12:51:53 PST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Kov=E1cs J=E1nos <kovacs.janos at ofi.hu> wrote:
>  > Just installed 4.9-RELEASE with jailed sshd over a null-mounted (bin,
>  > dev,etc,usr)
>  > dirs crashing.
>
> It's well-known that NULLFS (as well as UNIONFS) are unstable
> in FreeBSD 4.x and can cause crashes.

God, I so hate answers like this ... its the "I'm too lazy to care"
answer ...

=2E.. and it doesn't even come close to addressing the problem, and that is
that in 4.8, he didn't have this problem, while in 4.9, he does ... is
there something different in sshd that is causing this?  I'm running
4.9-PRERELEASE from Sept 20th, and all my servers have been solid, and
sshd is used extensively ...

Kovacs, can you back track to a Sept 20th world/kernel to see if the
problem persists there?  You'll need to use the date=3D option in cvsup to
do so ... if that works, try bouncing forward to the 20th of October and
see if that exhibits the problem.  Basically, I'm curious as to on which
date the problem starts, then we can see what got changed in CVS around
that date that may have caused this ... it might be something really
simple to fix ...