Apache ports confusion!

Rick Updegrove dislists at updegrove.net
Fri Nov 7 11:36:22 PST 2003

Hello,

(I am having problems with the ports at freebsd.org or is it
freebsd-ports at freebsd.org so I apologize in advance for what appears to
be a cross-posting)

Assumptions:  I cvsup and portupgrade regularly. I uses 4.9-STABLE
FreeBSD.  I do not want to run Apache2 or FreeBSD 5.x

I would like to run Apache on my FreeBSD machine.  However, I am
confused as to which port(s) I actually should install.  I warn you I
have some odd requirements.  I do not wish to discuss why I want the
ports I want, I just would like to get some feedback as to which ports I
actually need to install : )

Ok, I need Apache with http and https support.

I also need Apache::ASP, and frontpage, php4, and mod_perl.

Sounds easy huh?

root at T-X /usr/ports/www # l | grep apache
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     wheel         512 Oct 30 12:03 apache-contrib
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     wheel         512 Oct 30 12:03 apache-jserv
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     wheel         512 Nov  7 10:49 apache13
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     wheel         512 Oct 30 17:58 apache13+ipv6
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     wheel         512 Nov  6 14:13 apache13-fp
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     wheel         512 Nov  7 10:51 apache13-modssl
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     wheel         512 Oct 30 21:29 apache13-ssl
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     wheel         512 Oct 30 17:58 apache2
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     wheel         512 Nov  5 12:45 apache21

Ok looking at that and my requirements I would guess I want to install

apache13-fp and apache13-ssl?

What about mod_frontpage and mod_ssl?  What is the difference between
apache13-fp and mod_frontpage?  What is the difference between
apache13-modssl, apache13-ssl and mod_ssl?

I am fairly sure that mod_php gets installed when I install php4.

I guess I will install mod_perl and the Apache::ASP modules last.  They
worked the first time with no problems.

Anyway, I am very confused and I spent all week with trial and error but
all I get is a lot of mis-matched apache dependency errors when I try to
install conflicting packages.

Does anyone have some clues for me?

Thanks!

Rick