portupgrade and PHP

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Thu Nov 6 07:18:29 PST 2003

At 2003-11-03T18:54:17Z, Rick Updegrove <dislists at updegrove.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> When I run portupgrade -ra and PHP needs upgrading I am faced with having
> to select all the options I want PHP compiled with (again).  I hate this.
>
> How can I continually compile PHP with the same options as the last time?

OK, you've gotten several technically-correct-but-ungood answers.  There's
a much better way to manage this port.

Recent versions of lang/php4 read their configuration from
/root/php4-options.  Here's an excerpt from mine:

    WITH_BCMATH=ON
    WITH_BZIP2=ON
    WITH_CURL=ON
    WITH_GD=ON
    WITH_GETTEXT=ON
    WITH_ICONV=ON
    WITH_IMAP=ON
    WITH_MCAL=ON

When you begin the build, the port uses the contents of that file to set the
default menu options.  Configure it once, note the choices you made in that
file, and you're done.  Easy, huh?

At one point, the exact name of the options file was in flux, so I nailed it
down by setting:

    PHP4_OPTFILE=  /root/php4_options

in /etc/make.conf.  This seems to be unnecessary now.
--
Kirk Strauser

"94 outdated ports on the box,
 94 outdated ports.