Installworld failure in /usr/share/locale/

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 5 09:15:10 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:30:35AM -0800, Greg White wrote:
> I may have just caught this midmerge, but thought I'd post in case it is
> some minor breakage.
>
> Cvsup'd last night, started buildkernel/buildworld, and went home.
> Tried to installworld this morning, and kept seeing failures with error
> code 71. The failures were due to 'install' trying to install files into
> directories that did not exist in the target filesystem. The offending
> commands:
>
> install -C -m 644 -o root -g wheel  zh_CN.eucCN.out
> /usr/share/locale/zh_CN.eucCN/LC_CTYPE
> install -C -m 644 -o root -g wheel  zh_CN.GB18030.out
> /usr/share/locale/zh_CN.GB18030/LC_CTYPE
> install -C -m 644 -o root -g wheel  zh_CN.GBK.out
>
> I just mkdir'd those directories:
>
> mkdir /usr/share/local/zh_CN.eucCn
> mkdir /usr/share/local/zh_CN.GB18030
> mkdir /usr/share/local/zh_CN.GBK
>
> and installworld proceeded happily.
>
> Date of cvsup:
> CVSup update ends at 2003-11-03 22:10:33
>
> If I got caught mid-merge of some NLS changes, no biggie, just a little
> bandwidth wasted. If that's the case, please let me know, on or off list
> (preferably only the committer, no need to flood the mailbox with "Nope,
> working here." <g>)
> If not, maybe I've saved some folks a confused email to the list.

It happens when you miswrite "installworld" as "install".  Installworld
takes care to run a bunch of mtree(8) commands to create all necessary
directories.  Of course not if someone had broken the world, in which
case we'll be flooded by a bunch of similar reports very soon.  ;-)

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru at sunbay.com		Sunbay Software Ltd,