Serious bug in 4.9-RELEASE

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Mon Nov 3 15:51:32 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:17:26AM +0100, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 03:06:00PM -0800, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> > Doug White wrote:

> > >Apparently you :)
> > >
> > >I can't reproduce this. Try reinstalling termcap manually.
> >
> > I reverted to the one from the previous release.  The
> > CVSuped version is the one causing the problem.
> >
> > These are xterm sessions that are done via xforwarding in sshd.
> >
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   203413 Nov  3 14:57 termcap
> > MD5 (termcap) = c4228c627c053151a6397951464d0510
>
> That seems to be identical to the termcap file I have installed.
> (Except for the mtime of course.)
> I can't reproduce your problem either.

I take that back.  I can reproduce it, but only in xterm (I normally
don't use X much, so I only tried it in a normal text console.)

> > /usr/src/share/termcap/termcap.src has a date of Oct 29
>
> Sounds odd.  The last time that file was changed in the RELENG_4 branch
> was in May 2003, and the last time it was changed in -CURRENT was in
> August 2003.
> I would think somebody would have noticed the problem by now, if it
> really was a problem with the termcap file from the cvs repository.

But apparently not.  The change back in May seems to be mainly
xterm-related, so that is probably to blame.
Strange that no other program seems to complain.
(Or maybe not so strange. The "bs" capability that /usr/games/hack
insists on is decribed in termcap(5) as an obsolete capability that new
programs shouldn't depend on.  It might be that it is /usr/games/hack
that need to be updated to modern conventions.)

As a workaround you can run 'hack' with TERM set to 'xterm-r6'

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se