exited on signal 11 on unrar

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 07:20:47 PST 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 08:36:29AM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> "Adrien FACHE" <adrien.fache at its.setec.fr> writes:
>
> > This is my first experiencing with writing to English-speaking
> >   mailing list, so, please excuse me for possible mistakes.
> >
> > I'm a newbie on freebsd. I have a mail server on FreeBSD 4.7 with
> > Postfix and Amavis ( mail virus scanner ).
> >
> > The problem is I got this in my log periodically :
> >
> > /kernel: pid 24499 (unrar), uid 1010: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> >
> > I use unrar for Amavis
> >
> > Does this look like a software or hardware problem?
>
> http://www.freebsd-fr.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/troubleshoot.html#SIGNAL11

If the OP had a hardware problem, then the crashes would occur
randomly in any application and probably the kernel too (in which case
the machine would panic).  Even so, the observed symptoms might still
be due to hardware problems, but given the circumstances I'd be
thinking otherwise.

If the problem always occurs in unrar(1) then either the unrar program on
that machine is somewhat corrupted or you've discovered a bug in unrar.

In the first case, simply reinstalling unrar will probably sort our
the problem.  Use cvsup(1) to pull down the latest ports tree and
compile and install unrar from source.  Before building, disable any
excessive optimization levels you may have in /etc/make.conf --
certainly nothing more highly optimized than 'CFLAGS= -O -pipe'.  Make
sure CPUTYPE is either left unset or set to the correct type that
matches your hardware.

If the problem still persists, can you identify one or more
attachments that cause unrar to SEGV repeatably, and possibly obtain a
core dump from an unrar compiled with debugging symbols?  unrar should
never dump core, even when presented with pathological input, and the
unrar developers (http://www.rarsoft.com/) will be most interested to
hear about a repeatable way of making it do so.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way