Tracking 4-stable rather than 4.8-stable

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Mon May 26 05:45:06 PDT 2003

On Monday 26 May 2003 08:38, Jukka Huvinen wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2003, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> > Packages for -stable are updated on a regular basis, but only ever so
> > often. Don't expect a package to be available in the order of days after
> > a port has been upgraded.
>
> Hello! I'm also confused with getting _stable_ packages.
>
> How does it actually occur?
>
> If I update the ports collection with cvsup, it becomes to "current".
> (tag=.) I think there is no alternative, tag=RELENG_4 does not fetch the
> tree.

That's correct. The terminology is confusing, but it's not really complicated:
The FreeBSD build cluster basically builds packages for RELENG_4 and
5-CURRENT, for all available platforms, from the same, unified
ports-collection. These are mirrored to various ftp sites around the globe.
Now look at the directory on FreeBSD's primary ftp server that contains
various packages for the i386 platform:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386 .

If you compare for example
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.6.2-release/x11 ,
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.8-release/x11 and
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/x11 , you will
notice that they all contain different versions of XFree86-libraries:
4.2.0_1, 4.3.0_1 and 4.3.0_3. This because they all represent different
_snapshots_ of the ports collection.

So the "stable" packages are not build from a (nonexistent) RELENG_4 ports
collection, they just represent a snapshot of the ports collection at a time
where FreeBSD's RELENG_4 branch itself is -STABLE (as in uname -a output). As
you can see in that ftp directory, this works in a similar fashion for
5.0-RELEASE vs. 5-CURRENT.

--
| Michael Nottebrock	    |	   KDE on FreeBSD	| 		,ww   |
| michaelnottebrock at gmx.net | 		---		|	,wWWCybaWW_)  |