ichsmb SMB, interrupt, SMP

Don Bowman don at sandvine.com
Tue May 20 16:20:46 PDT 2003

From: Don Bowman [mailto:don at sandvine.com]

> I have a problem with an SMP 4.7 kernel with ichsmb. My
> BIOS has not assigned an interrupt, so the kernel does
> on startup:
>
> ichsmb0: <Intel 82801CA (ICH3) SMBus controller> port
> 0x1100-0x111f irq 0 at
> device 31.3 on pci0
> pci_cfgintr_virgin: using routable interrupt 3
> pci_cfgintr: 0:31 INTB routed to irq 3
> smbus0: <System Management Bus> on ichsmb0
> smb0: <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus0

After obtaining a BIOS from the vendor which assigns
an IRQ (11) to this device, it works properly.
In the non-SMP kernel, the interrupt is properly assigned
and routed even if the BIOS doesn't. In the SMP kernel,
the interrupt assigned doesn't work (never get an interrupt).

Does the pci_cfgintr_virgin understand IOAPIC routing?

Anybody else seen something similar?