ad0: READ command timeout....

Tenebrae tenebrae_BSD at niceboots.com
Mon May 19 08:44:04 PDT 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Dan Langille wrote:

> This morning I found a frozen box.  On the console was this:
>
> ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. ata0-slave: ATA identify retries exceeded
> done
>
> After reboot, those messages were found in /var/log/messages.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.8-RC from Apr 4 10:45:49 EST 2003.
>
> Any ideas?

Hey dvl,
I've had similar problems.  This has come up a few times on the mailing
list in the past, especially regarding certain lines of IBM drives.
Suggestions include replacing your IDE cable, making sure it's not longer
than 18 inches...and replacing the drive as it's probably on its last leg.
Back it up while you can.
								-Tenebrae.
---
The sending of any unsolicited email advertising messages to this domain
may result in the imposition of civil liability against you in accordance
with Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code Section 17538.45.