Status of ATA tagging in Stable

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun Mar 30 12:57:38 PST 2003

> From: ian j hart <ianjhart at ntlworld.com>
> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:40:55 +0000
>
> On Saturday 29 March 2003 6:42 pm, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I have a P3 system running STABLE built on March 7. I installed a new
> > IBM DTLA disk drive and was distressed at its slowness, so I tried
> > turning on tagging to see if that would help. It seemed to, until...
>
> What do you mean by *new*? These drives were renamed some long time ago.
> IIRC quality was a bit poor for early drives.
>

> > 3 AM when my periodic tasks started running. The system lost all disk
> > access and logged lots of errors (a few of which I added to the end of
> > this message).
> >
> > I rebooted the system this morning and the problem re-appeared when fsck
> > ran. I then turned off tagged queuing and the system came up normally.
> >
> > Is there some problem with the DTLA drive or is this a driver problem?
>
> Yes, the drive could be DOA. However it's equally likely to be the controller
> or the cable. Lots of M/Bs have suspect UDMA implementations.
>
> My IC35L080's are fine (GigaByte 7VTXE+)
>
> Take a look at this for starters (wrapped).
>
> http://ssddom01.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/\
> 	85256AB8006A31E587256A7800700048/$file/dtla_com2.pdf

Thanks for the poke to get my brain functioning, Ian. As you suspected,
the DTLA drive is NOT a new drive. It was manufactured in 2000 and
totally lost write capability yesterday. I have fallen back to my old
IBM drive which is reporting excessive errors, but at least generally
works and I will be returning this drive to our PC support guy who
called it "new".

I think th cable is OK as all other drives on the system are ATA100 and
all are behaving properly.

Thanks again!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)