4.8 hyperthreading changes

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Fri Mar 28 18:05:49 PST 2003

 From the 4.8 changes page I found this:

> FreeBSD now has rudimentary support for HyperThreading (HTT). SMP
> kernels with the HTT  kernel option will detect and start up the
> logical processors on HTT-capable machines. The logical processors
> will be treated like additional physical processors for the purposes
> of process scheduling.

On the 4.7 deployment systems I am running I have dual Xeon CPUs with
hyperthreading. They appear as 4 CPUs in 'top'. That would seems to
indicate to me that FreeBSD is scheduling them as four separate
processors, however the note from:

http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/4-STABLE/relnotes/i386/x19.html#KERNEL

makes it seem like this is a new 4.8 feature. Should I be concerned
about upgrading when 4.8 is released in order to obtain the benefits of
better use of these CPUs?

Ari Maniatis

ish group pty ltd
7 Darghan St Glebe 2037 Australia
phone +61 2 9660 1400   fax +61 2 9660 7400
http www.ish.com.au | email info at ish.com.au
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8