Please confirm (conf#3cf11a7145595546740c6064dbc27044)

David G. Lawrence dg at dglawrence.com
Mon Jun 30 13:32:31 PDT 2003

>> I hate to do it, but I am leaning towards a confirmation system as well.
>
>confirmation requests not going through because the other person uses
>a confirmation system as well sound like a lot of fun.
>
>Not that I'ld have a better solution ...

   ASK deals with that as well. If the other confirmation system includes
the original email in the confirmation request, then it will allow the email
through due to a special-phrase match in the email header or in your
signiture. ASK also limits the number of confirmations sent to a particular
address to prevent loops like this.
   I think by now we've strayed far away from freebsd-stable. Information
on ASK can be found at http://www.paganini.net/ask - so please go there if
you want to know more about it.
   It's also worth noting that there is a new anti-spam scheme that I heard
of recently that operates at the SMTP level. In this scheme, if the mail
system hasn't seen email from your server IP + email address before, then
it defers reception of the email for a few hours. This stops spam from
people doing drive-by spamming since they don't try to re-deliver on
temporarly failures.

-DG

David G. Lawrence
Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com - (866) 399 8500
TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com - (888) 346 7175
The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Pave the road of life with opportunities.