Please confirm (conf#3cf11a7145595546740c6064dbc27044)

David G. Lawrence dg at dglawrence.com
Sun Jun 29 23:13:37 PDT 2003

>Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>>David G. Lawrence used to be called David Greenman.  He's one of the
>>founders of the project.
>
>I do wish people who change their names would send notices.
>Did he get married?  ;-)

   No, I didn't get married.

>>The real issue here is that somebody has forged a message and sent it
>>to him.
>
>No, the real issue is that there are scads of virii/worms in the wild
>which forge message envelope senders.  It is absurd to send
>autoresponder messages to a mailing list.  It is a bad idea (tm)
>to send autoresponder messages upon receiving malware or spam.
>Sysadmins everywhere are getting messages from clueless users,
>themselves recipients of nag or bother messages asking, in
>effect, "why did you send me a virus" when the user has no
>friggin' clue who the doofus sending the complaint is.  This
>is BONEHEADED.

   ASK doesn't normally send autoresponder messages to mailing lists, and
of course I have freebsd-stable in my whitelist, but this particular forged
piece of spam managed to not match my whitelist entry and also didn't look
like it was from a mailing list.
   I respectfully disagree with your second assertion that doing sender
confirmations is 'a bad idea'.
   Despite this little hickup with ASK, I highly recommend it. It
sucessfully filters about 99.999% of the spam that I get, while rarely
blocking legitimate email.

-DG

David G. Lawrence
Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com - (866) 399 8500
TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com - (888) 346 7175
The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Pave the road of life with opportunities.