Adding subdisks to plexes (was: 'vinum list' wierd output (solved))

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 29 18:53:20 PDT 2003

On Monday, 30 June 2003 at  2:22:07 +0200, Joan Picanyol i Puig wrote:
> * Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at FreeBSD.org> [20030630 02:00]:
>> If you want a real answer, please restate the
>> original question.
>
> Q: how do I add my new drive to an existing volume?
> A: create a drive object, a subdrive object on it and attach it to the
> volume's plex.

Well, no.  The question doesn't make sense.  You don't add drives to
volumes, you add plexes.  You mean subdisk, not subdrive.  And the
volume may have more than one plex, so you need to clarify exactly
what you want to do.  In addition, as you go on to say, there are two
different ways to do this.  The method above is less desirable.

> Are these equivalent (bulk is the volume's name, storage the drive)?
>
> a)
> drive storage device /dev/ad0s1e
> subdrive length 0 drive storage name bulk.p0.s1

You mean subdisk.

> attach bulk.p0.s1 bulk.p0
>
> b)
> drive storage device /dev/ad0s1e
> subdrive length 0 drive storage plex bulk.p0

Yes, modulo keyword.  Note that, depending on the other objects and
their states, you may need to take further steps to ensure data
consistency, including possibly running growfs.  Also, you can't
attach additional subdisks to striped, RAID-4 or RAID-5 plexes.

Greg