alternate system clock has died

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Fri Jun 27 04:51:34 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm getting the message in the subject when I run systat -vm on a lightly
loaded server. Top shows interesting CPU usage %:

CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.0% idle

Some Googling tells me that a fix for this went in around 1998 in
sys/i386/isa/clock.c, see

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/159/1998/7/0/777198/

(fix verified to be present in RELENG_4_8 which is what the machine is running).

Since I'm the only one with this problem I'm assuming some hardware clock has
died, but now I'm trying to find out which one exactly. Could this have to do
with the battery-backed CMOS clock? If so how can I know for sure that that
isn't working right?

More information available on request.

--Stijn

--
"A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in."
		-- Kim Alm, alt.sysadmin.recovery