Iomega Zip 100 Problems with "New" ATA

Samuel Kesterson skesterson at travelnow.com
Wed Jun 25 08:45:57 PDT 2003

Thus spake Crist J. Clark (cjclark at alum.mit.edu) [2003-06-23 18:50] :

	-(Snip)-

> I knew there have been some problems with the new (post 4.5) ATA
> code. I've reviewed what I could find in the -stable archives and
> didn't find anything specific to Zip drives. Has anyone else seen
> problems with Zip drives? Any ways to work around this? Perhaps some
> boot vars?

	Well, this isn't going to be super helpful to you, but I did
want to offer you some consolation. I had a paraport zip on a
4.7-RELEASE system. This one of course, uses a different driver chain
than the IDE one would (At least I think ... I'll not claim that I
know much about kernel guts) but I did see similar behavior.

	On the one I had the machine would boot up and everything would
probe correctly (including the zip drive), but as soon as I tried to
access the drive from userland, either with a mount, or a `camcontrol
reset` or anything like that -- hard lock.

	I tried different media, different cables, and even a different
drive, all to no avail. I don't think it was a parallel port issue as I
have other devices on the paraport now (I didn't then) that work fine. I
eventually gave up and bought another CD burner...

	Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Maybe it's not the IDE driver,
but the core ZIP drive code?

--
 Samuel Kesterson
 skesterson at 09217travelnow.com