(noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset delivered. -- HP Netserver LH3r

Etienne Ledoux etienne at unix.za.org
Wed Jun 25 07:12:47 PDT 2003

Ok i fixed my subject a bit.

Well I've tried FreeBSD (4.4, 4.8, 5.0), SuSE Linux 8.1, Redhat 9.0.
All these operating systems fail to detect the hdd and when trying to load the
scsi drivers for it it gives timeout errors (redhat & suse).

FreeBSD gives: (noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset delivered.
			(noperiph:sym1:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset delivered.

This made me think that it might be a problem with the hardware configuration.
I've got two exactly the same machines. Both give exactly the same error.

I changed the scsi configuration on one machine. Trying different settings. No
change. (except for the few times where my changes disabled the hdd and it
couldn't find any OS). I installed the FreeBSD putting the drives into
another HP server (which btw also happens to be a Netserver LH3r), and
putting them back afterwards. Booting of the cd gives the same error.

What does the error: "(noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset delivered"
actually mean ? What is FreeBSD actually complaining about ?

I would assume that these HP servers (we have inhereted a few of them) would
use the same type of hardware. The server I'm trying to install this on is a
HP cluster server which has an external Raid Storage (which is currently
disconnected from the servers). The servers themselves are HP Netserver
LH3r's. The standalone server I used to do the install on is also a HP
Netserver LH3r. The only noticeable difference between the standalone server
and the server in the cluster is that the standalone server has a single
processor and the cluster servers are dual processor. I've removed the SCSI
card which is used to connect the server to the external Raid Storage and the
installation still gives the same error.

Now I could start to think that the hardware might be busted, but these
servers were still running Redhat 7.1 a few days ago.

If I want to try using the NCR driver (mentioned below), How would I go about
doing that ?
What else could I try.

Maybe if I understood the error((noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset
delivered) a little better, I could try a few other things.

hints/tips/anything appreciated.

Another weird thing I noticed:
- While another guy was installing FreeBSD on an HP pizzabox he also got this
error: "(noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset delivered", but it continued
to boot and he was able to install the box. hmmmmm ?

e.