dvd+rw-tools ported to FreeBSD (Sony 500A DVD[+/-]R[W] support)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Jun 15 13:41:51 PDT 2003

    I just finished up a port of Andy Polyakov's excellent dvd+rw-tools
    to FreeBSD, and he has incorporated the patches into his release:

	http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/
	http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
	http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/tools/

	(version 5.8.4.4.4)

    These tools support DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW format dvd burners,
    including the popular Sony 500A (which I just bought myself, hence the
    port).

    It should work on a wider variety of burners then the half-broken
    GNU dvdrecord tools work on (the GNU dvdrecord is a hacked up version
    of the original cdrecord).  Andy's tool set is based around his
    growisofs program which features multi-session recording capabilities.

    You also need to have mkisofs installed since growisofs uses it.  You
    can burn individual files or ISO images with andy's tools.

    Someone should build a FreeBSD port for this toolset, there's a gaping
    hole in the FreeBSD ports tree where DVD-recording ought to be.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon at backplane.com>