Via EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Sat Jun 14 07:56:21 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 04:06:18PM +0200, Siegbert Baude wrote:
> Are your machines completely diskless then? Which kind of PSU do you use
> then? Some of these low-power external ones? I really would like to get
> rid of every fan in such an EPIA machine. Both because of the sound and
> the possible failure source. With no mechanical parts left inside the
> computer, it should also be robust enough, to be tossen around in the
> kitchen by children.
> Another possible use would be as multimedia centre in the living room,
> but I suspect you would need the 1GHz version then (or what about the
> newer chipsets? They should have some hardware acceleration to make life
> easuer for the processor?). Is it possible to pasive cool this one, if
> there is no additional heat source like a harddisk or PSU in the case?

Siegbert,

You want one of these babies: http://www.hush-technologies.com/ 1GHz CPU,
totally fanless.  I think this is about the only piece of computer
equipment I've ever seen that I'd be happy to keep on my hi-fi rack :-)
You do pay quite a premium for the fancy heatsink/case though, and I'm not
sure whether they do a complpetely diskless version.

	Scott