cvsup with tag=. on src and upgrading (in general)

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Jun 13 11:30:57 PDT 2003

> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:08:49 -0700
> From: Richard Schilling <rschi at rsmba.biz>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> I'm just getting into regular use with cvsup (way over do on that one),
> and I tried to specify a tag=. in the cvsup file.  Here's the file:
>

> # This file specifies src files are to be uploaded.
> *default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
> # *default tag=RELENG_5_1_0_RELEASE
> *default tag=.
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> src-all
>

> The documentation says tag=. will download the actual CVS directories
> so I can review changes/diffs, but I don't see them present in the
> code.  Just the top level directory has it and it looks like it's for
> 4.X.
>
> Did I do something wrong with the cvsup file?
>
> Next question has to do with upgrading.  I have 4.6 src installed, but
> I cvsup'd RELENG_5_1_0_RELEASE.  Does jumping several
> releases/sub-releases like that cause problems?  Or, in other words, is
> it wiser to do incremental upgrades?

A tag of "." should give you the source tree for CURRENT. '.' is HEAD
in cvs terms.

I see a couple of odd things in your supfile:
Does /usr/local/etc/cvsup exist? Normally base and prefix are the same
thing, but I don't see why this would not work. The example files use
a base of /usr (same as the value of prefix).

I would tend to suggest updating to at least 4.7 (and, in that case,
why not 4.8 or STABLE) before jumping to 5. The jump to v5 is huge and
I'd want to do it from as close a point as possible.

Read the release notes and UPDATING carefully, especially the section
near the end on moving from V4 to V5. There are two special things
that must be done here to accommodate the new loader and the new
compiler. Failure to do the first will cause your old kernel to
boot. Failure to do the second will leave your header files hosed with
unpredictable results.

If you run cvsup with the -L2 option, you will get a log of all files
that are transferred.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)